RUU355 LATEST DEVELOPMENTS
* A few days ago, Ex-Member of Parliament Tawfik Ismail filed a lawsuit.
* The court papers were served to the Parliament Speaker Tan Sri Pandikar Amin (BN).
* Seeking the court’s declaration that the proposed RUU355 were done with irregularities.
* PAS carelessly neglected to obtain the prior approval of the Conference of Rulers/ Majlis Raja-Raja.
* The nine Malay Sultans are the head of the religion of Islam in their respective STATES.
* The administration of Islamic matters are the sole and exclusive prerogative of the Sultan in his own STATE.
< “In Malaysia, Islam is a STATE matter. The Sultan is the head of religion in his own STATE. The Yang di-Pertuan Agong is the head of religion in his own STATE as well as the head of religion in the Federal Territories and all STATES without a Sultan. Since religion is a STATE matter, family and personal laws governing Muslims as well as laws relating to religious offences are promulgated by the respective STATES in the Federation, rather than by Parliament. Parliament can only pass legislation on such matters when it comes to the Federal Territories. The manner in which Islamic affairs are organized at the STATE level is laid out in the Administration of Muslim Law Enactments. These STATE-based Enactments are generally similar in content – but not identical to one another.” >
Many of us have been caught up by this idea popularized by RPK, the King of Bloggers. He says that RUU355 is down to “Muslims versus non-Muslims”. But, is it really true?
The haze is starting to dissipate and the dust is settling down.
Now, RUU355 is beginning to look like a battle between “The Malay Politicians and the Malay Royalists”. (The rulers themselves will never get involved in politics.)
Religion is only the packaging. It is about WHO WINS POWER and who loses power after the enactment of RUU355.
The sooner this realization sinks in, the sooner the shape of the battle will change strategically.